Saturday, October 23, 2010

Talk for Reyna's Baptism

I'm preparing a talk on the Gift of the Holy Ghost for Reyna's baptism today. I just read the most interesting talk by LeGrand Richards. This is the line that enticed me to read the talk:
To me, the gift of the Holy Ghost is as important to man as sunshine and water are to the plants. You take them away, and the plants would die. You take the Holy Ghost out of this Church, and this Church would not be any different than any other church. And it is manifest in so many ways in the lives and the devotion of the members of the Church.
He tells how the general authorities have left profitable businesses and professions to serve the Lord because of the Holy Ghost.

Some other possible ideas for my talk:

My brothers drove me crazy growing up. I felt that one was too controlling and bossy and another was so gross that he ate with his mouth open! They would spend hours in the bathroom and then make ME late to school or church. I would voice my opinion, and my parents would get mad at ME, can you imagine? Why me, when they were the awful offenders? I found a scripture that may explain why my parents were so adamant that I keep my opinions to myself:

Mosiah 4:14-15
14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.
15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.

I believe that we can feel the spirit in our lives more abundantly as we follow God's commandments and serve and love one another. The Holy Ghost is a comforter, a teacher, a protector and He will guide us if we keep the commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment